SSAT is committed to ensuring that test takers with diagnosed learning disabilities receive reasonable accommodations when taking the SSAT. The best resource is the SSAT Testing Accommodations webpage.
Please note that all accommodations must be requested and approved before you can sign up for a specific test date and that not all test centers can support requested accommodations. Therefore, it is important to request accommodations as soon as it is determined that your child will be taking SSAT.
How to Request SSAT Accommodations
SSAT provides this Guide for Requesting Testing Accommodations for the SSAT. When requesting accommodations, you will be asked to provide the following Carroll specific information:
1. When asked to “Select the nature of your child’s disability (select all that apply)”
Please select Learning Disability (LD)
2. When asked to “Provide a brief statement that explains the functional limitations resulting from the listed disabilities”
Please keep your statement brief. Example: My student’s disability makes it difficult for him/her to effectively access standardized tests due to issues with decoding, encoding, written output, math calculations, and time management.
3. When asked to “Select all required accommodations”
Carroll students generally require and are approved for the following accommodations:
- Fifty Percent Additional Time (1.5x)
- Graph Paper
- Small Group Setting (10 or fewer students in a room)
- Answer Directly in Book
- Calculator (basic 4 function calculator only)
- Personal Laptop with Spell Check for Writing Sample
Note: All listed materials, ruler, highlighter, etc. must be brought to the testing center by the student - these materials are not provided by the center.
Note: Parents do have the option of requesting a “Reader” as an accommodation. Approval for this accommodation is based on a review of the student’s most recent neuropsychological evaluation (must be within the past three years of the request date). If the accommodation is approved, the Reader must be provided by the family. Reader must be:
- at least 18 years of age
- CANNOT be a family member or guardian, and
- CANNOT be an individual who has served as a SSAT tutor for your child
- Reader MUST sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement: Individuals who will use a test book in order to provide accommodations to a student, such as a reader, will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) before testing. This NDA is a legal agreement indicating that the individual will not disclose SSAT test content.
4. When asked to provide “Approver Details” please provide the following:
Name: Charlene Kmetz
Job Title: Director of Secondary School Advising
Credentials: Director of Secondary School Advising
Relationship to Student: School Educational Professional
Telephone Number: 781-314-9740
Organization Name: Carroll School
Re-type Email: email@example.com
Carroll School Address: 25 Baker Bridge Road, Lincoln, MA 01773
5. When asked to provide “Approver’s Documentation”
PLEASE CHOOSE OPTION 1 - If you choose Option 2, you will be required to submit documentation to SSAT and they will then make the determination about accommodations. This is a much longer process.
6. Once you submit your request for accommodations, Carroll will review and approve your request and you will receive an email from Enrollment Management (SSAT) stating that your accommodations are approved and you can register for a test.