Cognitive Development Department Head
Carroll School is a dynamic independent day school for elementary and middle school students who have been diagnosed with language-based learning disabilities, such as dyslexia.
This position reports to the Lower School Division Head and Director of Lower School Curriculum and is responsible for maintaining and growing the Piagetian Cognitive Development Program. The program is a specific hierarchy of activities designed to address fundamental domains of learning and development needed for academic success. This person is responsible for teacher training and coaching, collaboration with teachers and other departments to construct a developmentally appropriate curriculum for students, in-depth knowledge and analysis of students’ learning profiles, and working with students in the cognitive development program.
- Prepare for and run cognitive development classes that are developmentally tailored to each group of students.
- Collaborate with the cognitive development team to deepen understanding of foundational elements of academic learning and relationship of cognitive development activities.
- Assess students and design a developmentally tailored cognitive program with teachers.
- Supervise Cognitive Development teaching staff and coach teachers.
- Chairs cognitive development department meetings. Responsible for setting the agenda facilitating regularly scheduled department meetings.
- Participates in weekly Department Head meetings.
- Represents Carroll at required special events.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers on student progress, lesson planning and specific instructional needs, etc.
- Write quarterly reports and attend parent conferences as needed.
- Summer cognitive development training and occasional teacher workshops.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree in Education or Psychology preferred
- Deep understanding of Piagetian levels of development and the impact on a child’s learning and performance
- Ability to work closely with and collaborate with other teachers and department heads
- Able to provide trainings and presentations
- Strong communication skills
- Flexible and willing to learn
Carroll School offers a competitive salary & benefits package as well as professional development opportunities. Carroll School is an equal opportunity employer.