Carroll School is a dynamic independent day school for elementary and middle school students who have been diagnosed with language-based disabilities, such as dyslexia.
The Facilities Manager reports to the Director of Facilities & Capital Projects. S/He manages the schedule and performance of three Buildings and Grounds (B&G) staff members. S/He is eager to lead and roll up their sleeves to ensure project completion. The ideal candidate can both motivate others and assist in completing maintenance work. S/He is responsible for campus safety and the daily management of all equipment and facilities across three separate campuses. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
- Supervise and execute the ongoing day-to-day maintenance of school buildings and equipment. With the Director of Facilities, set priorities based on institutional needs.
- Oversee the general safety and security of the school; coordinate all aspects of emergency drills (training, scheduling, executing, communicating etc.).
- Lead and motivate the B&G team while actively and regularly working side-by-side to complete maintenance tasks.
- Ensure and participate in the maintenance of campus exterior spaces including snow removal, landscaping, play areas, roadways, etc. and create an ongoing plan for logistical and aesthetic improvements across three campuses.
- Assist the Director of Facilities & Capital Projects in evaluating vendors, preparing proposals and soliciting bids or contract services; oversee vendors and contractors when work is being done; review purchase orders, invoices and contracts; provide work progress updates.
- Ensure compliance with state/local regulations, including inspections, permitting, etc.; determine impact of new regulations and recommend appropriate policies and procedures.
- Assist the Director of Facilities in managing significant capital projects.
- Coordinate preparation and execution of set up/clean up for school events; ensure adequate Buildings and Grounds staffing at all events.
- Manage school vehicle fleet (i.e. repairs, safety inspections, replacement cycle, etc.).
- Oversee outsourced services (including cleaners, landscapers, gardeners, etc.).
- Manage staffing and safety requirements during every school day drop-off and pick-up of students. Manage other transportation needs for the school.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and five to ten years experience and/or training; CSL license or other related certification a plus
- Progressive experience in the field of facilities management
- Knowledge of methods and materials used in grounds keeping, landscape area construction, and maintenance work. Experience with horticulture, landscape design, irrigation systems and high-end exterior grounds maintenance a plus
- Extensive knowledge of campus safety and security as well as state and federal code requirements including OSHA
- Familiarity with permitting processes and procurement
- Ability to manage budgets and project timelines
- Possess a high level of integrity, a strong work ethic and professional demeanor
- Proactive, innovative and results oriented
- Willing to regularly roll up their sleeves to assist in project completion
- Demonstrated prior management experience
- Strong organizational and leadership skills; ability to prioritize and address time-sensitive requests in a professional and thorough manner
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with staff, colleagues, vendors and contractors
- Strong attention to detail and ability to think proactively; initiative to see and implement improvements with an attitude to exceed expectations
- Ability to problem solve, mediate, coach and be a team player
- Ability to drive school vehicles, traverse campus on foot, lift up to 50 lbs
- Knowledge of digital ticketing/work order systems; comfortable with technology
- Passion for the Carroll School’s mission; prior experience in a school environment a plus
Carroll School offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Carroll School is an equal opportunity employer.